Your Medical Home
A medical home is a team-based approach to health care. The team is made of health care providers, support staff and most importantl - YOU.
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO HELP?
Be an active participant in your care.
- Keep your appointment.
- Provide a complete medical history.
- Ask questions.
- Tell your provider about any other health care
professionals who care for you.
- Give feedback about the care you are receiving.
- Ask your team how to reach them after hours.
Take care of your health.
- Follow the plan that you and your provider develop.
- Take care of you when you are sick and well using proven, researched methods.
- Help you set and achieve health-related goals.
- Discuss with you care plans, tests, procedures and goals so that you are an active participant in planning your care.
- Work with you, additional health care providers and other resources in the community to coordinate your care.
- Answer questions to help you better understand your health needs.
BEFORE YOUR APPOINTMENT, USE THIS CHECKLIST
- Write down any questions that you may have. Put your questions in order of importance so that you are sure to cover the most important question first.
- Bring a list of other health care professionals that have taken care of you since your last visit - include any specialists, hospitalizations or ER visits.
- Write down the medications that you are taking, or bring all the bottles with you to the appointment, including over-the-counter and herbal remedies.